Summer School on Neuroscience and Aging BACK
The Research Program on Aging of the Italian Research Council (CNR), in collaboration with the American Federation for Aging Research (AFAR) and the European Union Geriatric Medicine Society (EUGMS), is offering a one-week program in Neuroscience and Aging. The program enrolls 20 international postgraduate students, and is held in Venice from June 10 to June 15, 2013. The faculty includes neuroscientists and geriatricians from Europe and the US. The course is based on lectures as well as laboratory sessions (e.g., basic science, neuroimaging, research protocols presentations and discussion). Classes will run Monday through Thursday. Friday is dedicated to laboratories at the Venetian Institute of Molecular Medicine in Padua, at the Abano Hospital, and at the San Camillo Insitute of Neuro-rehabilitation in Venice Lido. Saturday is dedicated to the presentation of students’ research projects and discussion.
The program provides room and board in Venice.
Application deadline: March 30, 2013
Scientific Director: Tullio Pozzan, MD, PhD, Director, CNR Department of Biomedicine, Professor of General Pathology, University of Padua
Executive Directors: Stefania Maggi, MD, MPH, PhD, Research Director, CNR Institute of Neuroscience, Aging Branch-Padua; Maria Carla Gilardi, PhD, Professor, School of Medicine, Milano Bicocca University, Director, CNR Institute of Bioimaging and Molecular Physiology, Milan
Selected Faculty members
• Richard Besdine, MD, Professor of Medicine and of Health Services Policy and Practice; Director, Center for Gerontology and Health Care Research; Director, Division of Geriatrics and Palliative Medicine; AFAR Medical Officer, Brown University, RI (USA)
• Luigi Ferrucci, MD, PhD, NIA Scientific Director, NIH, Bethesda, MD, USA
• Laura Fratiglioni, MD, PhD, Director of the Aging Research Center (ARC), Professor at the Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
• Giovanni Frisoni, Deputy Scientific Director of the Fatebenefratelli – The National Centre for Alzheimer’s and Psychiatric Diseases, Brescia, Italy
• Maria Carla Gilardi, PhD, Director, CNR Institute of Bioimaging and Molecular Physiology, Professor, University of Milano Bicocca
• Alessandro Padovani, Professor of Neurology, University of Brescia, Italy
• Tullio Pozzan, MD, PhD, Director, CNR Department of Biomedicine, Professor University of Padua
The tuition for the course is 900 Euros, which has to be paid within two weeks of acceptance. This covers room and board during the program (June 10-15). Download the application here, and a prelimary program here.