The American Federation for Aging Research (AFAR) depends on your philanthropic donations to fund cutting-edge research and to attract more physicians to specialize in geriatric medicine to meet the demands of our aging population.
Each year, through a rigorous review process led by some of the most accomplished scientists working in the field of aging research today, AFAR Research Grants provides up to ten awards of $100,000 for one to two year projects. These grants, which serve as the basis for longer term research, have led to many important discoveries. Examples include:
• A plaque removal therapy which may improve our ability to prevent Alzheimer’s disease
• A drug that builds muscle which may prevent disability in old age
• Findings that increasing the presence of the klotho enzyme may counteract mental decline
• A treatment that removes toxic cells which may delay or prevent some age-related problems
As a donor at the $100,000 level:
In appreciation of your generous donation of $100,000, an AFAR Research Grant will bear your name. The AFAR Research Grants for Junior Faculty program $100,000 for a one- to two-year award to junior faculty (M.D.s and Ph.D.s) to conduct research that will serve as the basis for longer term research efforts.
• You will have the opportunity to your grant recipient.
• You will also be invited to AFAR's Annual Grantee Conference in Santa Barbara, CA, and have the opportunity to meet top researchers in the field.
As at donor at the $7,500 level:
In appreciation of your generous donation of $7,500, an MSTAR scholarship will bear your name. Medical Student Training in Aging Research, MSTAR program provides an enriching experience to medical school students in aging-related research under the mentorship of top experts in the field. Many MSTAR recipients have gone on to careers in aging research and geriatric medicine.
• You will have the opportunity to attend MSTAR student presenations at program sites.
• You will recieve a compilation of MSTAR Diaries.
There are many ways, at many gift levels, you can support AFAR. For more information about making a gift to AFAR, please contact: Karen Wenderoff, Director of Development at 212-703-9977, or firstname.lastname@example.org.